Thursday, February 28, 2008

Day 23: Thank God for You Tube

Ok, so I just watched two clips from The Oscars: Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová's performance of Falling Slowly, this year's winner for Best Song, followed by their acceptance speeches. At first I wasn't sure if this would be cheating, but after seeing both, I'm convinced that it's not. I've listened to Falling Slowly on my Ipod countless times, so I don't see a real difference in watching a performance of it. As usual, their beautiful song sent shivers down my spine.

As for watching their acceptance speeches, I realize this is a bit trickier to justify. In my defense, you can't really call either of them celebs. They're independent musicians and neither of them had any acting experience prior to making the movie. They're just normal people like you and me (although suddenly, I'm very curious to know if they're a real couple -- see how this crazy cycle gets started?).

I loved Glen's excitement and amazement over the win, but it was Markéta's speech that really struck me (and God bless Jon Stewart for bringing her back out!). She was so genuine, graceful, sweet and her words about hope really resonated (and made me cry!). It was refreshing to see two struggling artists win an award that is usually reserved for Hollywood's biggest stars. I still don't mind that I missed The Oscars, but I'm so glad that You Tube allowed me to see that.

Oh and I need to make a correction to something I said in yesterday's post. The movie cost only $100K to make, not $1 million. My apologies!


Site Meter

No comments: