Thursday, February 7, 2008

Day 2: In need of a new morning routine

Every morning, I watch The Today Show while having my breakfast. When I finish eating, I go about my business -- making lunch, getting showered and dressed -- but the TV stays on even though I'm not actually watching it. I never really pay much attention since the stories are generally about things like that guy who turned blue or today's interview with a lawyer whose client punched him in the face. It's just a lot of fluff with a bit of real news thrown in for good measure, but but ever since 9/11, I'm too paranoid that something could happen and I'd have no idea. So morning and after morning, I've always turned it on.

While I was watching yesterday, I heard that Kate Hudson would be coming on. And for the record, although I gave up celebs, I'll still need to refer to them from time to time in these posts just to show how often they try to sneak into my life. The minute she showed up on screen, I changed channels. How's that for willpower? I wondered if this meant that I'd have to stop watching The Today Show in the morning since they frequently have celeb guests.

This morning, I put it on again, only to find out that the entire cast of Family Ties would be on. I really could care less about any of them, but since they're celebs, I decided to switch to CNN. I changed the channel and there it was, splashed across the screen: "Angelina Jolie in Baghdad." See what I mean? Even when trying my very hardest to escape celebrities, they still find me, on a 24-hour NEWS CHANNEL no less. Daniel tried to tell me that since this was a newsworthy story, it would be ok to watch. I disagreed. I'm trying to free my life of celebs in any shape and form -- newsworthy or not. And so far, this hasn't been easy.

I ended up just turning off the TV and listening to NPR on the computer. The first live show I found was all about fashion week at Bryant Park. I switched over to one that was chock full of news but not live. I know I need a new morning routine, but I'm not sure there's any morning show that will be truly-celeb free. Any recommendations?

Site Meter

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why don't you try listening to Morning Joe on WMSNBC television or Don Imus on WABC radio? Both shows have a variety of guests talking about serious subjects. You might enjoy some of the topics and realize you're really not missing a thing on the morning "fluff" shows.

Lia said...

Not so sure I could handle Don Imus so early in the morning! Plus, I'm sure he talks about celebs on there too.